Yield: 4-6 servings
6-8 butcher’s pork sausages (approx. 2 lbs.)
6 slices of thick cut bacon, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
½ teaspoon Tijerina Global Spices Acadian Cajun Spice Blend (click to order)
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
½ cup pearl barley, I use quick cook barley to speed up the process
4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoon butter, cut into cubes
large bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, drizzle a drop of oil in the pan and fry the bacon and sausages until golden brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and drain on paper towels. Once cooled, slice the sausages into thirds or if you like, bite-size pieces.
- To the skillet add the onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the Acadian Cajun spice blend, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the bay leaf, cooked bacon and sausages, pearl barley and potatoes. Pour the stock over the vegetables, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer on the stovetop for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add butter. Transfer to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until the potatoes turn golden brown.