1 (4-5 pound) whole chicken
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, thickly sliced
2 ½ cups chicken broth, or more as needed
4 carrots, cut into long pieces
2 parsnips, cut into long pieces
4-5 baby red potatoes, sliced into 6-8 pieces
3 garlic cloves, sliced
1 lemon, sliced
2 teaspoons dried or 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon dried or ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Cut backbone from chicken using kitchen shears and save backbone for another use. Flip chicken, breast-side up, and forcefully press chicken down with both hands to flatten, you will hear a crack, season both sides generously with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a braiser over medium-high heat and fry the chicken, skin-side down, until golden, 6-8 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate, skin-side up.
- Cook and stir onion in oil in the same skillet until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add ¼ cup of broth scraping the bottom of the skillet for brown bits that add flavor.
- Cook 2-4 minutes until reduced. Stir remaining chicken broth, carrots, potato, garlic, lemon, rosemary, and thyme into mixture. Place chicken, skin-side up, over the vegetables.
- Roast in the preheated oven until chicken is golden brown and crispy, about 45 minutes.
- An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 167 degrees F. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a large platter and let rest, uncovered.
- Bring remaining broth and juices in the skillet to a boil and cook until sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season sauce with salt. Serve immediately.