June’s Pie Dough Recipe
Yield: 2 pie crusts
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 6 chunks
- ½ cup ice water (very cold)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt until combined.
- Add butter and shortening and with a pastry cutter or fork, cut them into the dry ingredients until you have pea sized crumbs.
- Slowly add in 1 tablespoon of ice-cold water (usually it take about 3-4 tablespoons for me) at a time and gently mix. Once the dough begins to stick together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll it into a ball and cut it in half. Flatten the two halves into circles. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Take out and roll the dough for use.