Pasta E Fagioli (Fazool) with Rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano
Servings: 4 as main course
1 tablespoon olive oil or bacon fat
2 stalks celery, chopped coarsely
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
2 carrots, peeled, chopped coarsely
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans cannellini beans with juices
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
4 cups chicken or pork broth
1 cup water
14 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
7 oz tomato sauce
Rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano (approximately ¼ pound)
1 bunch fresh swiss chard, rinsed and rough chopped
7 oz very small ring pasta, tubular such as ditalini or small elbow macaroni
- In a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium high heat add olive oil or bacon fat.
- Add celery, onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, herbs, broth, water, tomatoes and cheese rind.
- Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook covered, stirring occasionally 25 minutes.
- Remove cheese rind and add the pasta and chopped swiss chard.
- Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes until pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with a drizzle of olive oil, a tablespoon of cheese and a teaspoon of fresh minced herbs.