Garam Masala Chicken
Recipe courtesy of Jessica Tijerina www.jessicatijerina.com
Yield: 4-6 Servings
2 tablespoons Ghee or coconut oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and smashed
Half of a 14 oz. can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes (drained)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/8 cup water
1 tablespoon Tijerina’s Garam Masala Spice Mix
1-pound chicken (boneless thighs preferred)
1 cup coconut milk, heavy cream or plain whole milk yogurt
1 bunch fresh cilantro, rough chopped
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat cook onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and salt 2-3 minutes or until onion becomes translucent.
- Remove from pan and place in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, melt the ghee or oil and add the mixture along with the tomato paste and stir. Add the water.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to low and simmer 7-10 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the Garam Masala, add the chicken and simmer about 10 minutes or until the chicken reads an internal temperature of 167°F. Turn heat to low.
- Beat the cream/yogurt in a bowl and stir 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce into the bowl and beat continuously so that the cream does not break.
- Stir the cream mixture into the pan until mixture is creamy.
- Serve immediately over Saffron Rice with a side of Raita.