Yield: 2 cups cooked rice
1 cup short grain rice
1 1/2 cups water
8 teaspoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons castor sugar (superfine) / if not available, boil the water, vinegar and sugar until sugar is dissolved
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Put rice in a large bowl and add enough water to cover the rice.
- Mix and drain the rice several times until the water turns clear. 5-6 times.
- Put rice into a saucepan and add 1 1/2 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for approximately 15 minutes without lifting the lid.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- While rice is sitting, mix the vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved.
- Add the mixture to the rice in the bowl and fluff with a wet spatula or rice paddle.
- If someone fans the rice while fluffing, the rice will become glossy.
- Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel and leave to cool until ready to use.
- Do not make more than 4 hours ahead and do not refrigerate.