Servings: 3 (10-12 Tacos)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1⁄2 cup roughly chopped onion (white or yellow)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1–2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped fine (these are hot peppers)
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika, ground
1 teaspoon Mexican Oregano
1⁄2 cup fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 ripe tomato, (Roma preferred), diced and seeds removed
1⁄4 cup chicken broth
1⁄4 teaspoon Kosher salt
3 cups shredded cooked chicken, to keep it simple, grocery store rotisseries works great!
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook for 30-45 seconds more. Stir in the chipotles, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, broth and salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Put the tomato mixture in a blender or use an immersion blend and blend until smooth. (Do not use hot liquids in a blender, may cause severe burns)
- Return the sauce to the pan over low heat and add the chicken. Cook for 5 -10 minutes or until heated through.
- Salt to taste.
At this time you may add this to tortillas and top with whichever ingredients you like; avocado, crema, cilantro, lime, etc.
Sometimes I like to add it to leftover rice for a quick power bowl lunch!